יום חמישי, 30 בדצמבר 2010

Nine Things I Learned From my Eighteen-month-old

1.     Always greet everyone enthusiastically - and by name. When my toddler's eyes light up for every person who walks in the door, she's experiencing a joyful moment in her day, and boy, does it make the other person feel like a million dollars! And when she comes running, proclaiming the name of her siblings, relatives, friends, and neighbors in that sweet, sincere, soft baby voice, it is the ultimate delight. A heartwarming welcome never goes wrong. 

2.     When a parent or sibling hugs you, grab the opportunity. "Hold you" was one of my daughter's first phrases. It means pick me up, hug me tight, and let me feel close to you just because I feel like it. Just because I want to enjoy our bonding, which gives me the strength to go on.

3.     Know your own mind. Like my dear daughter, make your desires clear to all. When you want something, just keep asking for it again and again and again. At this age, there sure doesn't seem to be much, if any, fogs of indecision. If only we could always hold on to that confident certainty of knowing what we want in life - and doing everything possible to make it happen. No distractions and no giving up.

4.     Eat as much as you think you should – then stop. If you've ever tried feeding a toddler against their will, you know just what a futile exercise this is. As soon as she's had enough, my daughter will hand her plate or cup back to me, which if I don't take within a few seconds, will end up on the floor. You'll never convince her to finish that last bite or spoonful just because it's there – exactly the recommendation that nutritionists are being paid to teach today's overweight population.

5.     When you're upset, know what calms you down and do it. My toddler doesn't need to be taught what relaxation means, or how and when to do it. She just tucks that pacifier into her mouth, and presto! Sadness, frustration, and disappointment evaporate in a flow of contented sucking. As the years pass, I realize how often much of my own sadness, frustration, and disappointment evaporate once I remember to stop and calm myself down. It's often not the situation that's so difficult to deal with, but my perception of it and my resulting frame of mind.

6.     Sleep eleven-twelve hours a night – and supplement with an afternoon nap. Many are the jokes made about "sleeping like a baby," but there's one thing that's true for sure. A good night's sleep and an afternoon nap when needed is the answer to many a problem.

7.     Spend most of your day exploring new things and discovering your world. After all, our time on this planet is not unlimited. Go out and see what the world has to offer, even if it's just to walk down a street you've never strolled before. The pleasures and multiple benefits you'll reap in all areas of your life cannot be overestimated.

8.     Keep a close eye on what's going on around you. Make sure no one's getting something good that you aren't. My daughter's close observations of what good stuff other people have, have made me more aware too. Don't let everyone else have the fun in life. Look closely at the people around you who are (truly) enjoying life, and learn from them how to include more  joy and laughter in your own existence. 

9.     Insist on doing things for yourself even if it takes time, and even if you don't get it right at first. Even if it takes ten tries (or more), learn to feed yourself and dress yourself. Keep trying to get that cover back onto the jar, and your feet into those shoes. The rewards for independence and self-empowerment are invaluable tools for life.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה